Saturday, July 4, 2009

Basket Case

In honor of Independence Day, I have done my part to inculcate in today's youth one of our nation's most traditional moral values: condescension for poor nail polish naming. (Little known fact: John Hancock only signed his name so big because he didn't want to hold the quill tighter and risk smearing his manicure.) It is my privilege to introduce a guest entry written by Reuben, one of the proud vanguard of the next generation of nail polish mockery. Reuben is eight years old and enjoys marshmallow taffy, Rube Goldberg machines, and pyromania. Thanks for submitting this entry, Reuben!

Reuben's take on Orly's "Basket Case":


What a stupid name. You use it and a basket breaks. Oh, my God. A basket IS a case. Why do you need a case for a basket? And a nail polish bottle is also a case. It's only a little better than "Brunette on the Internet." Why the heck would a case be pink? It would not be a color that is bright and cheerful. It should be black. Or doorknob-yellow. Even though doorknobs aren't usually yellow.

5 comments:

  1. Funny that an 8-year-old has more sense than adult marketers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when nail polish companies try to call me crazy (a basket case).

    ReplyDelete
  3. ever thought of the Green Day song? But then i really wonder why they gave this name to THIS color..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still think that this name is a homage to this film:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbaDt75y3Ac

    So I bought the mini version of this polish! LOL

    *Yeah, I know that this post is almost 3 years old, but this blog is awesome!

    ReplyDelete