Sunday, July 19, 2009

Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ

You know a nail polish name is destined for greatness when the least offensive interpretation of it combines all the charm of a national tragedy like Pearl Harbor with the crispy dead cow flesh "eww" factor of Meet Balls. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I give you Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ:


(spotting courtesy of Krissy)

The more offensive interpretation, you ask? Well, let's just say that the "cow" part of the story is urban legend. But a lot of people died in that fire...

I mean, I'm not saying that OPI is trying to glamorize cannibalism. It's just that if you peeked into the lunchbox of the staffer who came up with this, I wouldn't be surprised if it contained the other white meat, you know what I'm saying? Or if during her last weight-loss craze, she learned how zombies kept their figures so lean (Atkins himself is Atkins-friendly, dieters!). And I bet she never had any problem figuring out what to serve her in-laws...and the question became academic after one night. And maybe she...uh...put people...in her mouth...and digested them...wink wink nudge nudge.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is no matter how much this looks like a black cherry soda, please don't drink it.*

*Papua New Guinean readers, please disregard.

12 comments:

  1. that's the first time I hear about that legend, but considering it, this name is - well - tasteless as an unseasoned steak ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least Meet Balls was sorta funny. The BBQ part of their name is just cold-hearted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still wonder if that's the color of burned human flesh?!

    if I was to name a red polish, I'd call it "carrie's prom night"

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nasty color name. I'd name it "drug addict has an overdose and crack their head open red".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Just got here from Deez Nails. I love your blog's concept!

    That polish reminds me of raw meat gone bad. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shoot, guys, sorry I was AWOL for so long! I really appreciate all your comments and support.

    Drew and Loungie--your names are way better! I would entrust the naming of my nail polish line to you over OPI any day.

    Angie--hi! It's great to have you here!

    Ink--I know, right? Pearl Harbor and now this? Are nail polish namers totally soulless? I found another in this national tragedy vein that might be coming up soon; it's an epidemic (not the nail polish, the trend).

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Panderbear. Thanks. I'll shoot over some other funny names to rename some colors. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought this color a while ago without looking at the name of it. Once I got home and looked, I wanted to bang my head into a wall.

    Shame on the name, because it's a nice color otherwise...

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh dear, i thought it was the funniest color name i had ever heard. and i agree with Miranda, it's a beautiful color. (also, can't tell you the number of younger people who just don't get the reference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I stumbled across this as I was googling about my new favorite nail polish color.

    If you are going to make wild conjectures about cannibalism...maybe you should do some history research first? The O'Leary house did not burn down during the Great Chicago Fire, and in fact Mrs. O'Leary lived another 25 years before dying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I honestly thought it was named after Mrs O'leary from the Adrian Mole diaries...and she "accidentally" shows Adrian her red knickers as she's up a ladder putting up decorations for the bbq haha

    ReplyDelete